Windstorm Mitigation Inspections
There are seven main features in your home that may contribute to lowering your homeowner insurance premium:
- Having your house's building permit and a clearly indicated application date. Owning a house that was built prior to or after Sept. 1, 1994, in Miami-Dade or Broward counties, or after March 1, 2002, in other counties can affect your homeowner insurance premium.
- Whether your roof coverings meet the upgraded building code.
- If attic access is available, determine how the roof decking is fastened to the roof support system.
- The connection of your roof and walls, such as with toe nails, clips, and single or double straps.
- Roof geometry can affect a roof's stability during a hurricane, or tropical storm. Houses with HIP roofs, where all sides slope downwards to the walls, usually with a fairly gentle slope, earn discounts.
- A secondary water resistance barrier installed in your roof decking will provide extra protection and help prevent water intrusion in your home.
- Homeowners obtain discounts if all of the openings in the home are fully protected by approved hurricane rated items (LMI), such as Miami-Dade certified storm shutters.
Four-Point Home Inspections
Genesis Home Inspections conducts thoroughly documented four-point inspections that comply with current Florida insurance guidelines.
Our inspectors visually inspect and photograph:
- Electrical systems
- HVAC (air conditioning and heating) systems
Genesis provides homeowners and insurance companies with comprehensive roof inspections that complies with Citizens Insurance and other insurance companies' requirements.
The inspection identifies the covering material, roof age, remaining useful life of the roof, whether the roof installation was permitted and its condition. We also look for roof leaks inside the house and in the attic space, as well as for signs of repairs.
At the conclusion of each inspection, we take the time to review our findings with homeowners and, whenever possible, provide information about improvements that can help them lower their premiums.